Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Shankensville

4 days of culture and almost a week without a beach is enough to do any mans nut in so after seeing the slaughter and religion of Cambodia it was time to get to the beach sharpish so that I could back on the tanning mission. Yet another bus trip took me from Phnom Penh to Sihanouksville (aka Shankensville) and this one actually only took about 5 hours. Mind you it was an 8am start and as I congratulated myself on literally just making it, it suddenly dawned on me that one vital piece of equipment was lacking. We pulled out of the city and as I reached for my Ipod I realised that it would be a bit of a long reach as it was still plugged in charging in my guest house room! However, all was not lost! As I was thinking of ways to explain to Tommy that I had lost his Ipod barely 3 weeks into the trip I remembered I had a mate arriving in Phnom Penh that day and after a quick email once I arrived lo and behold the little legend only went and picked it up for me - Result!

Now I say Shankensville for one main reason. Most of the place names in this here Asia are not the easiest to pronounce. I was thinking it may just be me with this problem but after bumping into Kate and her sister Tooting Bec again it seems that their pronunciation is even more comical than mine. Even in London Bec asked a cabbie to take her to Barbecue instead of Barbican so you can imagine the trouble they're in over here. They left on the bus this morning to head to Cyclops formerly known as Saigon and now entitled Ho Chi Minh city, good luck to them in Vietnam!

Anyway this place is super chilled and an excellent retreat from anything else. I have been here 3 days now and have spent each and every one doing sweet FA on the beach and have even nearly finished Homers Odyssey (not as bad as I was thinking TP). The first night I met up with the girls and we went out for a bit of a mexican feast, at least it sounded like it was going to be a feast so we ordered 2 between 3 and when it arrived the ration police had been well and truly called out and so I had to resort to nicking some of the lads pizza on the table next door. Now it turns out that this kind gent is the number two beatboxer in the entire UK. I didn't have a scooby what the fuck beatboxing was but no sooner did I need wonder as he unleashed a plethora of noises from his ears, nose, and throat that was just ridiculously brilliant. God knows what inspires someone to wake up one day and go I know I'm gonna be a beatboxer but fair play to the lad from Nuneaton, he was legendary! In case anyones wondering who number 1 is apparently it's the guy who does the tune for the fruit pastilles advert (yep didn't ring any bells for me either!)

Anyway we had a fair few ales down by the beach and met some good lads and managed to get myself back in the girls good books after my lashed up bucket shenanigans in Ko Phanang. Last night was a quiet affair with a bit of tea down at the beach in front of the waves, a bonfire and some 'fireworks' that shot their bolt quicker than Big Trev will when he eventually gets his hands on a lovely lady. I am staying on here til Friday morning as Ipod boy will be arriving tomorrow with my delivery and then it's off to Vietnam on the 7am bus on Friday. Difficult decision for tomorrow, do I do the boat trip or spend the whole day on the beach again? Am starting to sound like a gloating bastard so will leave now and love as always to you all.

Stay Classy!

Freely x

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home