Sunday, March 25, 2007

Ice Ice Baby, cross dressing leprecauns and crusaders on horse back!

Well it's been an emotional, exhiliarating and bloody expensive 6 weeks but I have finally reached my final night in New Zealand. And from start to finish it's been a jam packed catalogue of experiences and adventures. Bungy, canyon swinging, rafting, caving, climbing, abseiling, fishing, sailing, whale and dolphin watching, skydiving, luging, zorbing, ice climbing, snow patrol watching, caravanning (don't forget that!), trekking and super 14's have all come and gone and I am leaving this land a contented and fulfilled man who on more than one occasion has come very very close to soiling himself! Mind you I think i'd rather soil myself than using the camper van toilet especially after the Swede had been in there dropping bombs.

Last night saw the culmination of 6 wonderful weeks watching the mighty Crusaders crush the Stormers in Christchurch. T'was a very good game that the swede clearly had no understanding of and was a fitting end. We bumped into a random German and Dutch guy who also had no idea what had been going on and headed into town for more beer and one final session. All I can say is that today I surfaced at 4pm when rudely awoken by people checking into my hostel, and true to form managed to lose my 150 dollar jacket that I only purchased about 3 weeks ago, well I can't go to a country and lose nothing!

The last few weeks have been amazing. A full day trek on Franz Josef Glacier was fun and a bit hairy when our guide got a bit carried away seeking a çhallenge'as it was his last week working. I'd say a 80ft drop into a cravasse was a bit of a challenge with just two thin slippery bits of ice keeping you away from it. But it made the day a lot more worthwhile and we met some good lads from Luton of all places and had a good booze up that night.


I have been cross dressing in Wanaka for Paddys Day, driving into the astounding Milford Sound and belting out Snow Patrol ballads in the Auckland arena. Leaping from planes, bungys and canyons, trekking up unmarked mountains and glaciers and eating more Salt and Vinegar chips and sweets than ever before. Trying to fight with big Maoris, emptying portable toilets and cvatching my own dinner. It has all been thoroughly satisfying and now I have firmly ticked the kiwi box it's time to head back to Oz for the next month of madness.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home