Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Wedding Crashers and Family Fortunes!

Back in Sydney with 12 hours to find a suit and all was not looking good. With only 1 linen short sleeved shirt and nothing vaguely resembling shoes I was in serious difficulty of not getting into the church for Lee and Roch's big day. But fear not all fell into place, and after hassling the groom for a suit the day before his wedding (trying to take his mind away from the nerves obviously), and finding some 40 dollar black spazza shoes I was all set to go. With the shoes shining like a new penny and the suit trousers riding up my shins it was by no means a perfect outfit but I found that with the right crouching stance and a bit of a monty python walk it was just about passable.
I met up with Fi and Nick the day before the wedding and it was great to see some familiar faces from back home after so long. Naturally we sank a few pre wedding ales and me and Fi ended up throwing some wonder shapes on a dubious bondi establishments dance floor until the early hours. You all know the script, I was convinced I was clearly the best dancer the bar had ever seen, running man starts to come out, heads rolling forward, shoulders follow and then all hell breaks loose, that kind of thing....

After a few chores and a couple of hiccups the next day we arrived at the church in good time and took our position in the stands ready to haul abuse and banter as the ceremony kicked off. Alas the banter never came although neither did Rochie, well not until 25 minutes after she was due to arrive and in honesty I've not seen Lee so nervous since being under a high ball in the gents game at Midhurst! When she did arrive (eventually) all was well and the ceremony went off with flying colours, the bride looked sensational, Lee didn't fluff his lines and the priest was on top form with some quality humour and chat.

After that the main event commenced and it was over to the yacht club with booze and food flowing freely all night and Cameron ensuring that the glasses were always half full. We also befriended the waiter early doors and doubly ensured beer was on tap for us every 5 minutes (never miss a trick!)

The speeches were very humourous, the music great and a brilliant party was had by all. In a rare twist to tradition after the bouquet tossing the bride gathered the men and threw her garter which yours truly duly caught. The boys in the cricket team will be aware that I rarely drop anything. However i'm not quite sure what catching the garter means but when I woke up the next day it was nowhere to be seen so clearly somebody wanted it more than me. A wedding in the midst of my travels was very well received and great to see Nick and Meg, Fi and Cam and congratulations to Lee and Roch and thanks again for a fantastic day.
With wedding over it was off to Melbourne to see my Granny who was visiting her sister and aunties, uncles, cousins, dogs and cats. Within 20 minutes of arrival my washing was in, breakfast was on the table and I was taking my nana and Libby through all of my photos. They sat patiently pretending to enjoy them and we had a good catch up. Nana then turned my jeans up for me and did the ironing and then we went round to my aunties to play cards where I promptly fleeced the family for a whopping 7 dollars. Putting it into perspective this was largely my relatives pension money, well if they choose to gamble....

The next few days saw me treated like a king round at nans house and taken to the Essendon game at the MCG where I was a bit of a bad omen as Essendon got beat. We had another card night and BBQ although this time I only won a dollar (ganging up on me!), and seeing my nana in the middle of Australia was fantastic. Thanks very much to all the family for looking after me, putting up with me and generally treating me to some luxury in the midst of my trip. In particular thanks to Nan for the home, Libs for the sensational curry (I owe you a dish!), Jim for the tickets to Essendon, Maddie for the lift and Aunt Jessie and Nana for the laughs. Hope you had a great time in Tassy and have stopped the bickering now! This left me with 3 more days to explore Melbourne before heading to Chile for the final chapter of my travelling book!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home